Growing greens, I have started - and need to plant soon... some salad greens. Growing greens is entirely simple in two 18x13 Rubbermaid bins I am able to grow salad greens to provide a decent salad every couple of days.
Living in Hawaii we all need to start thinking about sustainability, and then doing something about it. Everyone thinks that you need a large plot of land to grow enough food to survive, while to eat like you do now that is true. However, if you start small and continue to scale up, and grow foods that you enjoy eating, you would be surprised at how much you can grow yourself in a very small space.
Gardening gives me a chance to work with my daughter, we plant things together and she is always happy to see the plants growing. It is a worthwhile activity to teach youth how to garden and grow their own food so that it is natural to want to grow your on food rather than go to a grocery store. The best part of growing your own food is that it tasted better as you have put the time in to make the plant healthy it rewards you for your labor.

I really enjoyed reading your two posts! The first reason being that I love animals and have always dreamed of living on a farm since I was little. I have also been learning more about growing vegetables, since my boyfriend is really into horticulture. Vegetables taste 10x better when you grow it yourself!
ReplyDeleteYour goats are very cute. I was even thinking of getting one, but am worried that they are difficult to take care of. We had a dog that passed away very recently, and are looking into having another pet. I also heard it is illegal to own goats in Hawai'i, but I doubt that's true?
Great blog! I look forward to reading your future posts.
Hey Matthew! This is awesome! I love that your blogging about your farm and teaching us all how to be sustainable. I think it is so important to start farming because it really helps us keep track of what is going into our foods. And farming helps teach us how to survive if anything happens. I have thought about starting my own garden. Just a small one though, with herbs. Like you mentioned in your post, starting off small is good because you need to get into a habit of taking care of the garden. Then you can move on to a bigger garden. This is so great! I'm going to start my little garden today! yay!
ReplyDelete